Re: Sharing of personal information

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:35:00 +0400

Hello,
On 03/28/2017 12:02 PM, Ish Sookun wrote:
> Both of these groups are pretty welcoming. Instead of criticizing from
> outside why not contribute your ideas into making either LUGM or MSCC
> better? Critics are good for development. Everybody is putting time into
> something based on their belief of doing the right thing with the right
> method. I am not questioning the methods since that is not the priority
> for the moment

This is wrong on so many levels.
> Both of these groups are pretty welcoming.

MSCC is welcoming. Agile Media Ltd? Most people did not know of its existence.
But again, none of my business. Private Company.

> Instead of criticizing from
> outside why not contribute your ideas into making either LUGM or MSCC
> better? Critics are good for development.

"Instead of critizing ...." vs "Critics are good for development": self-contradictory.
I am not criticizing, I am denouncing potentially shady behavior.

Everybody is putting time into
> something based on their belief of doing the right thing with the right
> method. I am not questioning the methods since that is not the priority
> for the moment

"doing the right thing with the right method" vs "I am not questioning the methods since that is not the priority for the moment" : self-contradictory
I am questioning the methods. Fundamental liberties are a priority at all times.

« If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values: they're hobbies. »

To sum up:

1. I believe there is a lack of ethics that a private company is collecting information to be sold to third-parties. Especially since there is no
information whatsoever on Agile Media Ltd. Rather everything is being done under the guise of MSCC.

2. There is strong ground to believe that there have been breaches of Data Protection Act

3. I am appalled that I am the first and only one to notice and raise this issue, whereas hundreds of educated and well-informed IT people have given
in to the scheme. Many of whom I thought were champions of civil liberties. This will have a major impact on IT culture and services. Companies are
dangling free carrots and expecting us to yield our liberties; most people will do so happily.

4. Jochen asked for suggestions, and I gave my opinion. However I cannot make actual proposals without having the real figures of the DevCon (finances
and statistics), and without being cognizant of the structure of Agile Media Ltd / MSCC (whichever is leading the dance), or being a member of these.
I am part of the fb groups / meetup page although I have never been an active participant in any activity (other than guest).
Also, this is another topic of discussion in and of itself. A lot of people are involved in MSCC branded activities (DevCon / meetups) on a voluntary
basis. I did not originally intend to meddle or probe into those private matters.
I do thank Jochen for all these details. Such transparency can only lead to better informed decisions.

5. I fully respect Jochen, the Agile Media Ltd / MSCC assemblage and the members thereof. Previous DevCons were great. I do believe we are in a
democracy, they are fully entitled to whatever structure or level of involvement they feel comfortable with (as I am to be part of those or not).
Their work is challenging, but should they be excused from ethics or rule of law? I tend to think not.

All said and done, the big question is, what will happen now?
Personally the DevCon is a couple of days away. A lot of people worked hard on it. I do not want to rain on anybody's parade.
I did not register as attendee (although I initially wanted to). I will be helping with media coverage as part of LSL Digital team. I have no reason
to believe that would be a problem - if it is, I have no problem (ego or otherwise) of not attending.
I believe I have done my part as citizen to raise awareness and stand my ground when it comes to fundamental principles.
I hope Jochen and everybody having given their consents take responsibilities of their actions.

Best Regards,

--
❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞