Sharing of personal information

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:23:39 +0400

Hello,

While trying to register for the DevCon, I came across the following clause in the sign up form [ https://goo.gl/Un2cuj ]

-- BEGIN [1] --

Sharing of personal information *
[] I hereby agree that my personal information entered will be shared with the officially listed sponsors of the Developers Conference 2017. I give my
consent that a representative of said sponsors is allowed to contact me.

-- END --

Furthermore, there has been quite a number of registrants, given that today registration has been closed with the following message (excerpt):

-- BEGIN [2] --

> Registration for Developers Conference has been closed.
> Thank you very much for your interest.
> Unfortunately, we won't be able to accept any further registrations. Sorry... we're full. Actually, we're even over-booked.

-- END --

I find it appalling that this clause was mandatory* and even more so that so many people actually agreed to it, willfully or otherwise.
There is no clear indication of what the data will be used for, where it could be stored and for how long it will be preserved.

There is adequate ground to believe that the whole process is not only a violation of fundamental privacy principles but also numerous provisions of
the Data Protection Act [https://www.icta.mu/documents/laws/dpa.pdf].

Would it be possible to have clarification on the above please?

Kindly note that I have copied the Mauritius Internet Users mailing list in the email for their views on the matter.

Best Regards,

P.S Please find attached screenshots of the above excerpts:
[1] 1-share-clause.png
[2] 2-registration-closed.png

--
❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞

1-share-clause.png
(image/png attachment: 1-share-clause.png)

2-registration-closed.png
(image/png attachment: 2-registration-closed.png)