Re: MIU Objective

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:54:42 +0400

Hi SM,

On 6/25/15 4:16 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I gather that you are aware that there are:
>
> "3 other persons representing the interests of consumers, purchasers and
> other users of information and communication services, including
> telecommunication services."

Yes. I am aware of the clause. As I said, what I understand from the ICT
Act does not really matter. There are decades old practices that no one
wants to change. They exist at many levels, not just the ICT Advisory
Council.

There is an amalgam that the moment you interact with government
agencies you became a government agent & you're bound to secrecy (even
without consent).

I am not a government agent & I abide what is stipulated in the ICT Act.
I shall advise the Minister in the best interest of consumers from
within my capacity. However, consumers did not choose me to represent
them. So, if anyone wants to object my presence in the council, he/she
can address that with the Ministry.

Regarding discussions of the meetings, since I am not mandated by
consumers, it will not be ethical to share information without consent
of the council. I raised the topic of transparency, Logan did, Avinash
did. Our culture of transparency is different from others.

> on the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory Council.
> There isn't any information about who those three persons are. One or
> more of those three persons is supposed to promote the interests of
> consumers on matter relating to information and communication
> services/technologies. I have no way of knowing whether that person is
> actually doing that.

To this question there was an answer that the council is supposed to
advise the Minister and not the public. At a point I retorted that I do
not advise the public, I'd advise the Minister in the best interest of
consumers. I was told that the public needs to address the Ministry of
TCI and not the ICT Advisory Council.

You may address the MTCI in case the clause of the ICT Act and what I
have told you seem confusing. You may also mention that I have
specifically asked you to address the MTCI directly and not the council.

> I will try to avoid discussing about matters relating to the internet in
> Mauritius with any member of the ICT Advisory Council as, in my opinion,
> it would not be an optimal use of the time of the member. I doubt that
> the official channel of the ministry will be interested in having a
> polite technical discussion about matters relating to the internet in
> Mauritius.

I participate in various public discussions with my own capacity, not as
a member of the ICT Advisory Council. Therefore, the contents of this
email should be regarded as my opinion and not a shared opinion of the
council.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.