Re: MIU Objective

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 05:16:33 -0700

Hi Ish,

I'll copy this message to Mr Velvindron so that he is aware of what I
wrote below.

At 04:13 25-06-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>As a member of the ICT Advisory Council, I can tell you folks that
>Avinash indeed raised the matter. However, some members' energy is
>nearly drained every time trying to convince other people on the council.
>
>Some might even say that I should not speak here as a member of the
>ICT Advisory Council. Some might feel uncomfortable with what I say
>here. Some might reach out to the Ministry and whine over what I am
>saying, rather than picking up the ideas & pondering over them. Not
>everyone does free consultancy. However, when some people get free
>consultancy, they will not value the same.
>
>If someone who is not from the Government needs to discuss anything
>with the ICT Advisory Council, I've been told the official channel
>is through the Ministry of TCI [1].
>
> From the ICT Act 2001, I understood that the ICT Advisory Council
> is mandated to advise the Minister in the best interest of
> consumers (users & producers of IT). My interpretation does not
> seem fit. You can draw your own conclusions.

I gather that you are aware that there are:

   "3 other persons representing the interests of consumers, purchasers and
    other users of information and communication services, including
    telecommunication services."

on the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory
Council. There isn't any information about who those three persons
are. One or more of those three persons is supposed to promote the
interests of consumers on matter relating to information and
communication services/technologies. I have no way of knowing
whether that person is actually doing that.

I will try to avoid discussing about matters relating to the internet
in Mauritius with any member of the ICT Advisory Council as, in my
opinion, it would not be an optimal use of the time of the member. I
doubt that the official channel of the ministry will be interested in
having a polite technical discussion about matters relating to the
internet in Mauritius.