Mauritius ODRA report

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:16:33 +0400

Dear Rajnish,

I hope you're doing well.

I read
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2017/01/5920.html
and I concur with S. Moonesamy's observation.

I recall Anat Lewin, Operations Officer at the World Bank, saying that the
ODRA report will be made available to the Government of Mauritius and the
latter will decide regarding its public availability. Several of the
participants in the assessment expressed their wish to obtain a copy of the
report. Is the report publicly available?

I quote from the Government website (
http://www.govmu.org/English/News/Pages/Open-Data-Readiness-Mauritius-well-positioned-to-start-implementing.aspx
):

« Some benefits of open data include: *transparency and accountability*
(civil society organisations and media will analyse the data and publish
results feeding into policy); data exchange across government (obtaining
datasets within government becomes easier); and data-informed policy making
(policymakers base their decisions on applicable, relevant data). »

Does the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation give a good
example of transparency and accountability by refusing/delaying to publish
the ODRA report?

I also read the "bidding documents" for the supply, installation and
commissioning of an open data portal for the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation (MTCI/10/2016-2017). While I am happy with
Section 3.1 as it requires the data portal to be in line with the Open
Source Strategy and Policy of the Government, it does at the same time
disappoint me to find that the ministry opted to set up a new portal rather
than using an existing platform for publishing of datasets.

It was agreed by most of the participants in the assessment that the
release of datasets should prioritize setting up of a new platform. It was
also suggested that while the various ministries gather up their datasets
for release; those datasets could incrementally be made available through
the government portal (on MS Sharepoint) or through the data portal of
Statistics Mauritius (http://dataportal.statsmauritius.govmu.org). Is there
any technical constraint on using the Prognoz data portal of the Statistics
Mauritius which was set up in 2013?