Re: Why so much emphasis on that?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:52:48 +0400

Hi SM, Shelly,

On 01/22/2017 07:42 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> It was nice meeting you at Digital night. I was a surprised to hear
> that there are 600 start-ups in Mauritius. We could claim that there
> wouldn't be that many if we did not organize an event about start-ups
> over a year ago. I don't believe that the claim would be true. I guess
> that the event made the word "start-up" fashionable.

The CTO of the Ministry of TCI said 600 out of the 700 companies in
ICT/BPO are start-ups. I suppose not all 600 companies are local
companies but just a local branch outsourcing "business processes" here.

However, in the "ICT/BPO Industry Review 2016 Highlights" [1] published
by the Ministry of Technology, Communication & Innovation it mentioned
that 35% of the industry consists of start-ups and the number of
companies appear to be 750. That would bring the number of start-ups in
ICT/BPO to 262 and not 600.

Now, assuming that I didn't hear or note properly the figures that the
CTO mentioned; then I see similar figures being reported by a journalist
[2] which only confirms that I heard right.

> There is much emphasis on "that" (please refer to the photo) as the
> local "IT" is centered around "IT" training. I doubt that companies
> paying for the "IT" courses are aware that those courses are not useful
> to their companies. It is somewhat like those "Linux" or "search engine
> optimization" (SEO) training courses.

I agree with the above. :)

[1]
http://www.govmu.org/English/News/Pages/ICT-BPO-Industry-Review-2016-a-year-marked-by-growth-for-the-sector.aspx
[2]
https://www.lexpress.mu/article/298186/digital-night-deux-jours-pour-decouvrir-secteur-tic

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.