Open Data in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:37:25 -0800

Hi Rajnish,

I read a news article [1] about "Partage de
données: la NTA aide à combattre la fraude" and I
was reminded of "Open Data". In December 2015,
you provided some feedback about the Open Data
Readiness Assessment Report: "Once the final
report is received, it will be analysed and
submitted to Cabinet for approval for
implementation and dissemination". In August
2006, you commented as follows: "As regards open
data, we are currently studying the World Bank¹s
final Open Data Readiness Assessment report". I
took a look at the "policies & strategies"
published by the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation and I could not find
the report. In January 2016, a government
official stated that Open Data would be
implemented in Mauritius before the end of 2016.

It has been over a year since the beginning of
the discussions about Open Data in Mauritius. A
few hours ago, I asked whether there was anyone
still interested in Open Data and it prompted a
discussion with Mr Kirstätter during which he
mentioned the following: "And since 2+ yrs no
Freedom of Information Act which would be
pre-requisite to #OpenData in #Mauritius".

I read some indicators about Open Data in
Mauritius. The country received a poor score in
each of the 15 sectors which were assessed on the
question about whether the data is openly
licensed and on the question about whether there
is machine-readable data available in bulk.

I would like to study the World Bank report to
find out whether there is indeed such a
pre-requisite for Open Data. It would also help
me understand why the country received such a
poor score in respect to Open Data. Would it be
possible for you to send me a copy of the report?

1.
http://www.lexpress.mu/article/297558/partage-donnees-nta-aide-combattre-fraude