Re: Internet Security Day

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 01:31:33 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 01:13 07-02-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I was contacted by the reporter too and I commented as a Linux
>Sysadmin at La Sentinelle. I spoke briefly about the hostility of
>the internet and the need for parental control for minors. That's all.

Thanks for the above.

>In recent times, we have seen more cases of sextortion being
>reported in the press. Do we have any stats on such cyber crimes?
>The different types of "arnaques" that exist on the web should be
>covered, though we cannot cover all possible scenarios. Phishing is
>another important type of crime that made victims recently.

I listed phishing, advanced-free fraud, identity theft, sextortion,
revenge porn and ransomware. I agree that it is not possible to
cover everything. I could not find any statistics on
http://sid.ncb.mu The advice for young persons is for them to talk
to their parents if he/she feels uncomfortable about anything
online. In my opinion, parental control is not practical as it is
trivial for a young person to find a way to bypass that.

By the way, the topic should have been "Safer Internet Day".