Re: Internet Security Day

From: Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <"Tejas>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 21:04:27 +0400

Hello Ish & SM,

On 2/7/2016 1:31 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> I was contacted by the reporter too and I commented as a Linux
> Sysadmin at La Sentinelle. I spoke briefly about the hostility of the
> internet and the need for parental control for minors. That's all.
>
> Thanks for the above.

I was also contacted by a reporter just hours back regarding the "Safer
Internet Day" which is to be broadcast tomorrow on the radio. I was
asked 2 questions which are:

1. Do I agree that "Facebookers/Internet users" should have the liberty
(freedom of expression) to express themselves on the internet?

I strongly agreed to the fact that internet users should have the
freedom of expression online based on the fact that no one owns the
internet, it is not the property of the government nor any institution.
We only have governing rules and ethics. I took the example of the
presence of the press online, what if we have huge amount of
restrictions online, will the press be able to reveal or post articles?
I also added that the internet can be considered as platform to share
information, if we start adding restrictions, will people be able to do so?

2. What is my opinion regarding the current laws related to IT in
Mauritius - Which was mostly concerned to the ICT Act 2001 and Computer
Misuse and Cybercrime Act 2003, it is too rigid?

I did criticize that the currents laws (ICT Act 2001 and Computer Misuse
and Cybercrime Act 2003) in Mauritius are too rigid and have to be
reviewed immediately because personally, those clauses were designed in
2001 & 2003 and we are in 2016. Over the years, there have been
tremendous changes in the IT world/sector and everything is changing at
a fast pace. I did mention the case scenario that Ish took during his
press conference, what happens if your machine is compromised by an
attacker and is used as a vector for a attack? According to the current
law, the owner would be held responsible for this issue.

I also mentioned that there are other laws that need to be reviews, an
example can be the PoTA itself.

I was short in my talk, around 4 minutes.

*Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah*
CTO, Graphics Temple