Re: A common level of understanding

From: Sun <s4ndeep1203_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 13:37:48 +0400

Hi SM,

> If a person underestimates his/her level of expertise, wouldn't the person
> be offered a lower salary

This is an interesting comment. Would it also be true if a person
overestimates his/her level of expertise, and that person be offered a
higher salary? In my opinion, both these statements are correct. It's also
true however that, when the person is actually employed to do the job,
over-selling his expertise might play against him, which may result into a
loss of employment.

I think it is harder though, for someone who undervalued his/her own
expertise at the beginning to get a 'quick promotion' if the latter proves
himself/herself much better during the course of work.

It is hence important to have a reasonable estimate of one's own level.
Something that has been scientifically proven[1] to be : not so easy a
task.

*The Dunning-Kruger Effect*

The *Dunning*–*Kruger effect* is a cognitive bias wherein relatively
> unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly
> assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is
> attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately
> evaluate their own ability level.

This is something I discovered in the gaming umwelt, and I find it very
relevant to this particular conversation.

You also mentioned that

> A counselor provides guidance as the person has the necessary experience
> [1] to do that.

While this is true, it is not always easy for someone to come across a
'mentor'. I would say it depends on luck. A more appropriate way for
someone to reach their true potential is through correct policies and
facilities provided by their country. Do the authorities recognize and
reward all kind of talents?

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Thanks and Regards,

*RAMGOLAM Sandeep*

*Front-end Developer - Designer - Web Enthusiast - Gamer**Website :*
barfii.net <http://www.barfii.net>