Re: Code of Conduct for MIU

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:51:00 +0400

Hello all,

[ from: ish_at_lsl.digital ]
> We have a "strict" subscription to this list, where a person is
requested to join using his work email, disclose his affiliations to
avoid conflict of interest etc. Inactive subscribers are removed.

I suppose you meant “a strict subscription policy”.
I think it would be only fair that people be able to view such a policy
such that they be able to comply therewith.

[ from: ish_at_lsl.digital ]
> If we write rules for this list, it somehow sends the signal that
people on this list aren't disciplined or mature, and they need rules,
sanctions etc in order to comply.
The concepts of “discipline” and “maturity” are highly subjective.
People cannot be expected to comply to such concepts without them being
explicit.

Formal definitions of acceptable behavior and vision would, in fact,
send a strong signal of maturity of the group itself – illustrating the
commitment of individual members to a healthy code of conduct and common
vision.

Hence, not only do I strongly support Shelly Hermia Bhujun's idea, but I
also believe it would be interesting to include the vision and
commitment of the group as a whole.

This would make it easier for people to understand the nature of the
group – for potential members considering to join, for existing members
as a reminder of expectations and for 3rd parties with which the group
may interact with at a certain point.

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞