Re: Code of Conduct for MIU

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 16:21:49 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 01/04/2016 10:41 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> I recently came across RFC 7154 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7154)
> which speaks about Guidelines for Conduct for the Internet Engineering
> Task Force. Do you think we could have something similar for Mauritius
> Internet Users?

It's great to see that S. Moonesamy authored the "Guidelines for
Conduct" for the Internet Engineering Task Force. That in itself speaks
much about his authority, his acceptance and credibility. :)

Meanwhile, I am not for a "Code of Conduct" for the Mauritius Internet
Users. Why? There is a simple reason to that. We have a "strict"
subscription to this list, where a person is requested to join using his
work email, disclose his affiliations to avoid conflict of interest etc.
Inactive subscribers are removed. I believe a mature person would not
require a penned down code of conduct for him/her to know how to behave
on this list. If we write rules for this list, it somehow sends the
signal that people on this list aren't disciplined or mature, and they
need rules, sanctions etc in order to comply.

I might have shown a different opinion in the past, in this same list,
but opinions could change over time. I would say I got to learn a lot
along the way through MIU. Yes I do, like many people who say so on this
list. :)

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.