Re: Freedom of Information event (was: Request to represent the MIU)

From: OMDEEP GOKHOOL <omdeep.gokhool1_at_umail.uom.ac.mu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:30:19 +0400

Hello SM

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Omdeep,
> At 12:31 07-09-2015, OMDEEP GOKHOOL wrote:
>
>> scheduled one. However I received a mail from the Embassy, Corinna Zarek
>> is coming to Mauritius on the last week of September and they want to know
>> if the MIU would be willing to host her for a talk. I am forwarding the
>> mail to this mailing list.
>>

> Will the topic be about Freedom of Information or Open Government [1]?
> How does the topic fit within what the Mauritius Internet Users is
> interested in? How will we get a venue to be able to host the talk?

 (a) In the mail I received from the embassy, "Freedom of Information" has
been mentioned.

 (b) A Freedom of Information Act will definitely fit within what the MIU
is interested in, for example on the 8th of September Mr Ish was looking
for the MNIC act which was unavailable on their website[1], same for the
"communiques" which you could not find on the government portal[2]. Having
a Freedom of Information act will give us the right to request certain
informations from public authorities. A second example I would like to take
is the clouds of doubts still lingering around, about the New Identity
Cards[3], having a FOI act will obliged public authorities to publish
certain informations about their activities.

 (c) As you mentioned in the mail sent to Ms Fox, the event should be
hosted in collaboration with a media group in Mauritius. However the
embassy enquired if the MIU can host the event at the University of
Mauritius. I would like to know your opinion on this, if the university
will be a suitable place as you are suggesting that the event should be
hosted in collaboration with a local media group.

> The topic might not be suitable for a web developer or system
> administrator audience. It would be better suited for an audience with an
> interest in media or law.
>

> There were some issues during the last event. An event is not as an
> opportunity for people to complain about what they do not like about
> Mauritius or negatively criticize a ministry on unrelated topics. I
> received a complaint about that even though the persons were not
> participating as part of this group. What do you suggest to prevent that
> from happening?
>
> I totally agree with you that it should not be an opportunity for people
to criticize, hence upon invitation or promotion we should make the
objectives of this event clear to those willing to participate.

[1]
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/09/3355.html
[2]
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/09/3363.html