Re: Biometric ID Card

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 19:20:57 +0400

Hi SM,

On 09/07/2015 04:59 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> It will cost money to destroy the personal biometric data. From what
> you wrote, I understood that you do not agree to spend money on that.

I do not agree that the Government spends money on an incomplete
solution and will have have to disburse additional money at a later time.

> The blog article mentions a "standalone reader". I could not find any
> information about that. Will the Linux User Group Meta advocate that
> such a reader supports Open Source Software?

The standalone reader was mentioned by the Minister of Technology,
Communication and Innovation, Mr. Roshi Badhain during the programme
aired on Radio One.

The Linux User Group of Mauritius (LUGM) advocates free/open source
software (FOSS) and open standards. LUGM will be in favour of using FOSS
with acceptable security & privacy standards.

> Can the ID Card be used for identification?

The current model of the ID Card is based on identification of the person.

> Are you saying that Avinash Meetoo, Logan and you are not able to
> provide advice?

I sent a message to the ICT Advisory Council and thereby shared my
opinion on certain procedures with regards to issuance of the new ID
Card. No one showed any interest to continue the discussion. As regards
my "advice", the ministry did not seek anything in the matter of the
biometric ID Card.

I remain however a free citizen in Mauritius who publishes his views,
ideas and observation regarding IT Projects of the government, not
limited to the biometric ID Card.