Sponsorship for fostering a more vibrant Open Source community (was: Mauritius Smart Cities Conference)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 08:22:23 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 07:37 08-09-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>We organized a Linux meetup a few days ago on improving Internet
>experience using Linux & Open Source software. We didn't receive any
>help from any governmental organizations, either in kind (money for
>projector, drawing pad, and a mobile connection) or sponsorship for
>fostering a more vibrant Open Source community in Mauritius.

Avinash Meetoo is the Chair of the ICT Advisory Council. Ish Sookun
and you are members of that Advisory Council. You are also "high
officials" of the Linux group. What have you all been doing to
convince a government organization to sponsor of foster the
activities of your group? :-) According to the event page [1] 73
persons went to the event. There are nine persons in the photo
[2]. Is that vibrant? :-)

This group encounters similar problems. It is very difficult to
convince governmental organizations or companies in Mauritius that it
is useful to foster voluntary efforts or to provide a little money to
help those efforts.

1. https://www.facebook.com/events/1631855367057063/
2.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11218771_1643696359211692_458124894164095660_n.jpg?oh=6d9dc37dbdea082e8212f07e56c9a918&oe=56361A91