Re: MIU Objective

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:13:01 +0400

Hi SM,

On 6/25/15 1:32 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I asked Avinash Meetoo, Chair of the ICT Advisory Council, about 100
> Mbps local internet access. The reply was that the Advisory Council
> would work on it (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/03/0120.html
> ). I do not think that the ICT Advisory Council is interested in
> helping us get 100 Mbps local internet access as it has not contacted us
> to discuss about the matter.

As a member of the ICT Advisory Council, I can tell you folks that
Avinash indeed raised the matter. However, some members' energy is
nearly drained every time trying to convince other people on the council.

Some might even say that I should not speak here as a member of the ICT
Advisory Council. Some might feel uncomfortable with what I say here.
Some might reach out to the Ministry and whine over what I am saying,
rather than picking up the ideas & pondering over them. Not everyone
does free consultancy. However, when some people get free consultancy,
they will not value the same.

If someone who is not from the Government needs to discuss anything with
the ICT Advisory Council, I've been told the official channel is through
the Ministry of TCI [1].

 From the ICT Act 2001, I understood that the ICT Advisory Council is
mandated to advise the Minister in the best interest of consumers (users
& producers of IT). My interpretation does not seem fit. You can draw
your own conclusions.

[1] http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.