Re: MIU Objective

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:36:05 +0400

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Ish,
>
> I'll copy this message to Mr Velvindron so that he is aware of what I wrote
> below.
>
> At 04:13 25-06-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>>
>> As a member of the ICT Advisory Council, I can tell you folks that Avinash
>> indeed raised the matter. However, some members' energy is nearly drained
>> every time trying to convince other people on the council.
>>
>> Some might even say that I should not speak here as a member of the ICT
>> Advisory Council. Some might feel uncomfortable with what I say here. Some
>> might reach out to the Ministry and whine over what I am saying, rather than
>> picking up the ideas & pondering over them. Not everyone does free
>> consultancy. However, when some people get free consultancy, they will not
>> value the same.
>>
>> If someone who is not from the Government needs to discuss anything with
>> the ICT Advisory Council, I've been told the official channel is through the
>> Ministry of TCI [1].
>>
>> From the ICT Act 2001, I understood that the ICT Advisory Council is
>> mandated to advise the Minister in the best interest of consumers (users &
>> producers of IT). My interpretation does not seem fit. You can draw your
>> own conclusions.
>

> I gather that you are aware that there are:
>
> "3 other persons representing the interests of consumers, purchasers and
> other users of information and communication services, including
> telecommunication services."
>
> on the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory Council. There
> isn't any information about who those three persons are. One or more of
> those three persons is supposed to promote the interests of consumers on
> matter relating to information and communication services/technologies. I
> have no way of knowing whether that person is actually doing that.

Hi SM_at_,

I have worked really hard to convince the people, involved that we
need to go forward. However, the results hasn't been up to my
expectations up to now.

I would say that for Mauritius to evolve when it comes to bandwidth,
we need to have capable people at all levels of public service. An
elected member of parliament is not enough. I have started publishing
more stuff on my blog as it allows me to express myself much more
effectively, regarding various problems in Mauritius. At times,
newspapers pick up on some of those articles, and explain it to the
general public, which increase awareness in the general population.

At the current rate, It's unlikely that Mauritius will be able to meet
the technical expectations when it comes to bandwidth problems.
However, I do not give up the fight :)