RE: Mauritius Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 04:43:41 -0700

Dear Mr Hawabhay,

I am writing to you as a representative of the Mauritius Internet Users.

At 08:41 25-05-2015, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:
>We will soon post a link to Open Data concept on the website of the ministry.

I found the following link on the web site of the Ministry of
Technology, Communication and Innovation:
http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Events/Pages/Open-Data-Readiness-Assessment-by-World-Bank.aspx
I am familiar with the Open Data concept. I have been following
discussions outside Mauritius about that subject since several
years. I didn't find it useful to discuss about the subject in
Mauritius because of the high unresponsiveness to requests for
information. There is also a link to a video about "Open Data". My
web browser prompted me to install software to view that video. I
did not find that encouraging.

I was interested in reading about the government's perspective in
respect to Open Data in Mauritius. It is unfortunate that there
isn't any information available on the web site of the Ministry of
Technology, Communication and Innovation.

According to a presentation in 2013 by Dr Tim Kelly, World Bank,
Mauritius was in the 93rd position, which is a lower ranking that the
one for the Seychelles, in an eGovernment survey. The presentation
states that the main objectives for Open Government Data are:

   - Transparent government
   - Improved public services
   - Economic growth and social value

I assume that it is also to encourage citizen feedback and
accountability by fostering civic engagement. It is improbable that
it will happen when information is not made available in a timely manner.