WebCup 2015

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 17:51:04 +0400

Folks,

Did anyone from this mailing list attend the WebCup 2015 as a participant
or out of curiosity? I'd like to know if there was anything mentioned
regarding the use of off-the-shelf templates for this competition.

I had a look at http://ynot-team.tk. The final work is a messed up version
of Aeon[1] Joomla Template.

Then I had a look at Blue Dragons[2] and instantly thought they could be a
team of young students. Indeed, they appear to be from Université des
Mascareignes. Okay, let's admit that their website look is amateur,
nostalgic, contains Flash :P etc etc etc. But this is what is taught to
students at university level and it is what they applied when asked to
design a website.

On the other hand, Ynot Team might have spent $48 to buy a Joomla theme and
spend 24 hours of human time to mess it up.

My comments might appear harsh but let us not forget that every year it is
the same story about WordPress, Joomla templating.

Does it take to be a genius to produce 5 beautiful HTML pages with some
nice JavaScript in 24 hours rather than copying others work and editing
texts?

Ynot team has replaced the copyright of Dan Partac[3] by their own. I doubt
if they contacted the latter to have his permission. Does WebCup 2015 know
if this copyright infringement?

I visited maurice.webcup.fr and it redirected to
http://www.webcup.fr/wp-signup.php?new=mauice.webcup.fr. See the typo. The
page is very slow. Then I clicked on "contact" to get an email address,
waited more than 2 minutes in front of a blank page and got bored.

[1] http://www.pcadviser.ro/themeforest/?theme=aeon
[2] http://bluedragon.maurice.2015.webcup.fr/test1/test1.php
[3] http://themeforest.net/user/dnp_theme?ref=dnp_theme

​Regards,​