Re: WebCup 2015

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 01:24:30 -0700

Hello,
At 11:24 25-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>Please don't misunderstand me. Or rather I must
>apologise for not putting my point(s) clearly.
>I'm no way compromising with bad codes, etc.
>First of all, coming to the WebCup, the team
>members should have paid attention to the
>criteria on which they were to be assessed. And
>good or clean code development was not a
>criteria. Personally I think that if this was a
>criteria, then the standard of the WebCup would
>have been higher. And yes I want a higher standard for the Webcup.

The following is from a news article in Reunion island:

   'Organisé par l'association réunionnaise Webcup, ce concours se veut
    "un véritable baromètre des compétences techniques et créatives des
    participants, résidant dans la zone océan Indien"'

The following companies had teams in the "Pro"
category for this WebCup: Mauritius Commercial
Bank, DCDM, Activeline and Cegid. If the members
of the teams were amateurs, why were they listed
under "Pro"? Nadim was unable to access one of
the web sites created during this WebCup. Does that matter?

Web agencies in Mauritius can sell their services
at very low prices. The low price is also an
advantage for the companies selling web
outsourcing services as there is cheap labour available.

The discussion on this mailing list started when
Ish found out that a few of the WebCup teams used
ready-made templates and passed it as their own
work by changing the copyright for the
template(s). There were the following rules:

   "Chaque équipe débutera sa présentation en
mentionnant si le site réalisé repose
    sur un CMS (si oui, lequel) ou de manière
générale sur quel langage ou type de
    programmation, et si la charte graphique est
totalement ou partiellement originale
    ou est uniquement l’adaptation d’un template."

I don't know whether the presentations included the above information.

Jochen was part of the jury for this WebCup. He
commented that "the technical aspects of how a
website should be done" does not matter. Nadim
commented that coding conventions, standards and
software engineering should be ignored. A
customer is not usually interested in coding
conventions, software engineering, or
standards. There are reasons for applying coding
conventions and doing software engineering. You
won't learn those reasons in school. The reason
for technical specifications, or standards, is
not about web site "quality; the customer can
know what he or she is paying for.