Re: Open Source Software in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 07:36:02 +0400

Hi SM,

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:31 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Ish,
> At 11:50 21-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>
> Did the president of the local Linux User Group raise any objection about
> the hiring of two foreigners to draft the policy?

​There is nothing in the records.​ So, at official level, no the president
did not.

> If you mean whether it is fair that the local Linux User Group is good
> enough to do Open Source advocacy and it is not good enough when it comes
> to paying somebody to write a draft policy, I do not think that it is
> fair.

​The National Computer Board did not contact the Linux User Group prior to
hiring foreigners. We were not consulted whether there could be local
expertise in the matter.

> Are Avinash and Logan also pushing forward the "open" ideas?

Yes, they are but more needs to be done.​ At times due to the lack of data
available we cannot substantiate if Free Software/Open Source will really
lower the cost of projects. We cannot fully assess the impact & improvement
of education. If I go in the ICT Advisory Council meeting and I ask for the
current number of primary schools, number of students and their subject
scores over the past 12 months, it might take several months before I get
that data. I therefore cannot properly analyze & visually
present/substantiate things.

Folks of the ICT Advisory Council have requested for such a dashboard that
could give us the data ready for analysis.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.