Re: Achievements

From: Dhiruj Rambaran <dhiruj_at_shoponline.mu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 00:27:11 +0400

Dear all,

I'm sorry but I have not been vocal enough to help create a viable
group. Yes I could use the cliche "I don't have enough time" but, when
one considers I was meant to speak at a conference in Johannesburg this
morning (not bragging.. just saying) but, instead, I've had to call and
cancel simply because i'm just too busy here (in mauritius), ... so
someone may believe me when I say "i don't have enough time!".. lol.

Anyway.. in answer to some questions I found floating regarding
"innovation" and "does the government really care?". I have an on-going
episode happening at the moment:

Yesterday I saw an announcement in the papers, some workshop organised
by Oracle, attended by Minister of IT, regarding Oracles endeavor to put
enterprises and govt on the "oracle cloud".

Well... a few weeks ago I presented a project to the Ministry of IT,
attended by the PS and 8 others. The meeting lasted 2.5 hours after
which they reached the conclusion that my project was "very good" but...
they didn't know how to proceed with it! (for those who don't know what
the project is.. it's to provide every business in mauritius their own
free retail e-commerce website, together with physical delivery of goods
and payment acceptance... more or less same biz model as an "Amazon
e-Fulfillment Centre". And yes, the entire thing is on the Microsoft
Cloud.. but i'm not making a fuss about it :) )

So.. in the end it was decided that one of the Ministry of IT guys would
organise a meeting with the Ministry of Business.. so that both
ministries could re-listen to the presentation I'd give.

Well.. now here is the "unusual part"..... apparently, after several
weeks, not even the Ministry of IT can get an appointment with the
Ministry of Business to have this meeting!

I commented that "well.. if YOU guys can't get a meeting going about
this project... how do you expect an ordinary CITIZEN, like myself, to
EVER push this through???".

So.. the conversation continued:

Me: So what do I do now?

(Conversation with someone "high up" in MICT.. probably number 3)

MICT: I don't know.. I can't get hold of them for the meeting!

Me: Well.. can the PS do something about this?

MICT: He'll only tell me to do it.

Me: But you're the Ministry of Innovation etc.... how does anyone expect
an innovative project to even make it to the final decision stage when
you can't get a meeting?

MICT: Yes I know.. it is very sad.

Me: Yes I know it's sad. But what do we do now?

MICT: Well.. in my experience you must persevere

Me: But I've been trying to push this through for 5 years now.

MICT: (silence... then....) I think I better go there myself, in person,
and get them to hold this meeting.

Me: Do you and the PS still believe in the project?

MICT: Of course we do. It's a great project. But we're just not sure how
to get through to them now.

Me: So what's the point of a Ministry of Innovation + IT when nothing
can be done for such a proj?

MICT: Well.. i tell you what. Ring me, every day if need be, to remind
me to give another call to the ministry of biz.. i may get through!

Me: Okay. Well.. I waited 5 years... I suppose I can wait another 5 years.

MICT: hahaha... don't say that Mr Rambaran. We'll get there don't you worry.

Me: Okay, then I'll ring you every day till one day the ministry of biz
picks up the phone.

MICT: I don't mind.

Me: (no words left to say).

Now.. though the above does not specifically answer anyone's question in
regards to Innovation, IT and pushing innovation through government....
I think, nevertheless, you can draw your own conclusions just through my
conversation (which i've had with many, in many ministries by the way).

I believe the story of Innovation and IT.. and whether it is possible to
get a project through, is probably neatly summed up above.

Frankly... I see no hope for IT + Govt in Mauritius.

Dhiruj