Re: Open Source Software in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 23:20:54 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 20:36 21-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Yes, they are but more needs to be done. At times due to the lack of
>data available we cannot substantiate if Free Software/Open Source
>will really lower the cost of projects.

 From what you wrote, Logan, Avinash and you are pushing forward
"open" ideas. If three persons on the ICT Advisory Council are doing
that, how come I could not find the draft Open Source policy which
was written in 2014?

There isn't any data as you have been doing fancy fairs. It might be
a strategy which would have worked many years ago.

Did you know that:

   "The survey on the use of OSS in the Mauritian Government also reveals a low
    uptake. No OSS policy has been prepared so far for the country and there is
    no comprehensive strategy and awareness campaign initiated for the adoption
    of OSS. The use of such software has been made in an ad-hoc
manner, although
    cost benefits are obvious as shown in the case study carried out at the
    Statistics Mauritius department."