Re: Broadband internet

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:32:26 -0700

Hello,
At 08:12 29-04-2015, Appadoo Dave wrote:
>A quick google search yielded this ICTA National Broadband Policy
>2012-2020 document. In this document section 2.5.9, broadband
>internet in 2002 is referred to as "an internet connectivity of at
>least 256 kbps". In section 13, a broadband concept of 1mbps/256kbps
>[down/up] is introduced. This is to ensure availability with an
>'acceptable' quality of service, shortly followed by this concept
>considered to be "aggressive".
>One small note: I am not referring to the local connection but to
>the internet access.
>Mauritius being the "Cyber" island it is currently, isn't it time to
>revise the broadband definition? What are your thoughts?

There is the following in the ICTA National Broadband Policy:

   "By 2014, at least 60% of homes should have affordable access to actual
    download speeds of at least 10 Mbps and actual upload speeds of at least
    5 Mbps"

Do you have affordable access to that? Has the ICTA been able to
reach the target it set?

A definition of broadband is only relevant if we are comparing
dial-up and, for example, ADSL. What is the acceptable quality for
you to watch a video stream over the internet? What is the
acceptable quality for you to make a video call over the internet?