Re: Open Data

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:24:32 +0400

Hi,

SM nailed it: Any time your tax money is used to collect data, you
should be able to access that data. This covers many topics, but a few
examples are:
- Property prices & sales (every house sold is recorded by the land
registry department, but not really published in an accessible form)
- Property planning applications (these seem to be semi-secret in
Mauritius, and very public in other countries like the UK)
- Meteorological (I'd love to see the raw data that is collected on
sunshine, temperature, rainfall, etc)
- Water quality
- Government Spending
- Transport

The UK government has done a lot of work to support Open Data. You can
see their good work here: http://data.gov.uk/data/search. The USA has a
similar project: https://www.data.gov/. Warning: you'll be drowned in
data looking at those sites.

Open Data has lots of positive benefits, including:
* Transparency and democratic control (i.e. allows the public to keep an
eye on government corruption)
* Participation & Self-empowerment (allow the public to analyse the
facts for themselves)
* Improved or new private products and services
* Impact measurement of policies
(source <http://opendatahandbook.org/en/why-open-data/>)

Cheers,

Dan.