Re: Web practices

From: Sun <s4ndeep1203_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:26:36 +0400

Hello everybody!,

Missed this topic completely, thanks to Nadim for bringing up this topic.

> It may be due to the lack of information about web practices.
> Could you please introduce yourself and share some information about the
> web practices followed by the company you work for?

First of all , I think very few of the web-developers in the Mauritian
market today know about security issues. The main problem here is
awareness. In my university classes I probably had modules related to
security but nothing too specific that deals with web development. The only
way I know about some security issues is either when i stumble upon them on
/r/web_design, or when somebody that i follow online talks about it(e.g
Ish's Blog).

When I say security issues, i mean the things that pertain to web
development. I don't really care when Logan announces an exploit of xyz
router, because of the obvious scope of my job.

To come back to the awareness issues, we have people learning web
development in institutions in Mauritius and security is a very small part
of the courses, sometimes its not even present. I have friends at the Open
University of Mauritius currently learning HTML, and they are taught to
code with <table>, so I don't imagine these lectures will keep up with
security issues.

Another thing when you work for a company is that, you do only the things
that were mentioned in the contract. At a previous company that I worked,
clients here tend to remove things from the 'website package' to reduce the
cost. The manager agrees so that he can land the contract, and there's no
mention of security. As the developer i will not implement things that were
not in the contract.

As for freelancers, who are often paid poorly, or who are just starting
out, some don't know about security issues. Other won't check back on the
site after two years, because they are simply not paid to do so.

Most Web Developers in Mauritius(who are self taught) begun by being all of
the following :

   - designer,
   - backend-guy,
   - ui/ux-guy,
   - javascript-ninja,
   - seo/marketing-guru

Then they tend to specialize in *one or two* of those. But very few started
out by giving security-aspects equal attention. I did not. So when i need
an expert advice, I call Nirvan.

Best practices:

   - Check rwx permissions.
   - Keep CMS's updated.
   - Use strong passwords.
   - Use efficient code(so that you don't DOS yourself, been there :P )
   - Keep up with the latest news.
   - Have a backup plan to restore a website if need be.
   - Never stop learning
   - Have a contact channel so that people can report bugs.

I work as Front-end Developer/Mobile App Developer/Research & Development
guy at Prodigious Mauritius, at Ebene. I deal mainly with custom-made
sites, and html5 mobile applications.

Thanks and Regards,

*RAMGOLAM Sandeep*

*Front-end Developer - Designer - Web Enthusiast - Gamer**Website :*
barfii.net <http://www.barfii.net>