RE: 100 Mbps local access to the internet

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:09:52 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 09:45 15-04-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>I am currently using 1 Mbps. I was wondering why you are asking for
>100 Mbps. Why not 50? why 100? What is the maximum?

The download time at 1 Mbps is 10 hours 26 minutes. The download
time for a DVD disc at 100 Mbps (download) is 6 minutes. The maximum
download speed for FTTH is 1 Gbps. Google Fiber is currently
advertising that speed for its service [1].

Orange (Mauritius) currently has a 30 Mbps offer. Going from there
to, for example, 50 Mbps is not a steep change. The idea of 100
Mbps (local access) is to cause a steep change [2] in the internet in
Mauritius while not asking Internet Service Providers for too much.

1. https://fiber.google.com/about/

2. The international internet bandwidth per internet user was 24.6
kb/s. The capacity to innovate for companies in Mauritius is
slightly above the (international) mean. Business to consumer
internet use is below the mean.