Re: Web practices

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 13:24:09 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 08:59 18-04-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>My experience suggest that it's not:
>1) Downtime due to crack - loss of money
>2) Clients losing trust - This can surprisingly be quite huge, unless
>your website is known as google, or youtube. So clients might start
>looking elsewhere.
>
>In my experience, it's worth sending the client a proposal once the
>project is completed, or close and tell him about the security risks
>in terms of money/loss of customer goodwill being potentially at risk,
>by charging for "security/reliability updates".

I am a subject-matter expert for HTTP (Web). I am not looking at the
topic from that perspective. I'll focus on the internet in Mauritius.

There isn't loss of money for downtime. I am not sure whether there
is loss of trust. Do the clients look elsewhere? I don't know.

Here is what we did: we took an open source software which comes
without any warranty, added it to a "web package" and sold that to
the customer. We then blame the customer for not paying us for security.

Is the problem being solved? No. The result is that users in
Mauritius will be facing problems. I am also a user. The problem
can also negatively affect me. This is where I try to find other
persons who have a similar problem and who would be interested to solve it.