Re: .mu issues

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 06:40:24 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 05:46 31-03-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>You cannot be part of the decision-making process of the MIXP, without
>having an ISP license, which is not the right approach. Currently, we
>end up with a board which is composed of only of ISPs.

The right approach does not work if there aren't any persons from an
organisation who can do the work.

>There is nothing for educational organization, or non-profit ones. I
>don't think that this is how a cyber-island should run an IXP.

A university was invited to participate in the work of the .mu Select
Committee. There wasn't anyone from universities participating. The
Mauritius Internet Users was the only not-for-profit group commenting
about the work. There isn't any interest from educational or
non-profit organisations to participate in internet-related
discussions; that may be why MIXP is set up in such a way.

>SM, is it possible to have an exceptional meeting with the different
>organizations, and include members of MIU, or whoever would like to
>participate ? I don't think that the current structure that was
>proposed is fair, as there are no individuals, or educational
>representatives that form part of the local Internet Community.

It is possible to have a meeting. It is up to the persons interested
in having that meeting to suggest how to get it.

I tried to organise a meeting with educational institutions. There
wasn't sufficient interest. It would be difficult to argue that it
is not fair for them not to be represented. Are there any
individuals who have been able to convince the Ministry to be part of
the discussions?