Re: User Declaration Form for National Identity Card

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 05:17:50 -0700

Hi Rajnish,
At 21:19 13-04-2017, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:
>I will pass on the query to concerned officers for a reply.

It has been over two weeks since you mentioned that you will pass my
queries in respect to the National Identity Card to concerned
officers. I have not received any reply from any public officer of
the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation since 14 April.

I asked the Data Protection Office for information regarding the laws
and regulations related to the National Identity Card. I was first
directed to a web site on the Government Portal. I was advised to
contact the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation
after I explained that I could not find the laws there. At the
moment there are only the following laws/regulations publicly available:

   (a) National Identity Card Act 1985/1986

   (b) National Identity Card (Civil Identity Register) Regulations 2015

   (c) National Identity Card (Amendment) Regulations 2015

Are the above the only laws and regulations related to the National
Identity Card? I am asking this question as one of the principles of
data protection states that personal data shall be processed "fairly
and lawfully". I assume that you will agree that it would not be
fair if information in respect to the laws and regulations for the
National Identity Card were not provided to a person who is required
by those laws to surrender personal data and sensitive personal data
to the data controller or data processor.