Re: Deletion of biometric data

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:27:07 +0400

Hi SM,

On 29/04/17 20:38, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I see that you wrote about the above [1]. What is the purpose of the
> affidavits? [..]

The affidavits serve as a legal document whereby the persons who
attended the ceremony attest that the deletion of the database happened
in front of them. I believe such was required to gain the trust of
citizens who cast doubts of the deletion happening or not. The ability
of the persons to understand the deletion procedure and then attest the
same could be questioned.

> [..] I received confirmation that the data
> controller complied with its responsibilities in respect to the deletion
> of the "fingerprint database". The only reason the fingerprint for the
> fingerprint to be collected is because "the law says so".

The "responsibility" does not correspond to just deletion of the
fingerprint database but it covers the "storage and causing to be
stored" of any biometric data. I am pushed to believe that the persons
involved in the project are in fact recording fingerprints because they
saw a line in the legislation that allows them to do so.

> The only advantage of the new National Identity Card is that there is
> symbol printed on it for citizens who are eligible for a discount on the
> bus fare. It is currently impossible for any entity providing a service
> to use the features of the new card as the technical specifications have
> been kept secret.

There is another advantage of the card. A person working in a hospital
does not have to type the identity card number of a patient as it can be
read using the bar code printed at the back of the card. :-)

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.