Re: User Declaration Form for National Identity Card

From: Rajnish Hawabhay <rhawabhay_at_govmu.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 04:19:03 +0000

Dear SM

Thank you for your query.

I will pass on the query to concerned officers for a reply.

Regards
Rajnish Hawabhay

On 4/14/17, 7:09 AM, "S Moonesamy" <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

    Dear Mr Hawabhay,

    I am contacting your Ministry as it is the data
    processor, under the Data Protection Act, for the
    National Identity Card. Please do let me know if
    you are not the appropriate contact.

    According to the Ministry of Technology,
    Communication and Innovation, there is the
    following text in the User Declaration Form:

        "I have no objection that my fingerprint minutiae be processed and
         recorded for the purpose of producing my identity card. I understand that
         this information will be erased permanently from the register once the
         identity card has been printed."

    I have asked the Data Protection Office for
    advice about the above and it confirmed that the
    person will be providing his/her consent by signing the above.

    There is a news article in June 2015 (
    http://www.lemauricien.com/article/carte-d-identite-biometrique-des-dispositions-prises-detruire-les-banques-donnees
    ) with the following: "ministère de la
    Communication, de la Technologie et de
    l’Innovation avise le public que les mesures
    suivantes seront prises". I could not find the
    announcement when I visited the web site of the
    Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation to verify it.

    I read in another news article (
    https://www.lexpress.mu/article/268270/lancienne-carte-didentite-valide-jusquau-31-janvier-2016
    ) that "des officiers du ministère, les experts
    singapouriens et tous ceux ayant participé à
    l’exercice de destruction des données devront
    jurer un affidavit". Are those affidavits
    available for verification or is there any
    information available for me to locate those affidavits?

    Is the citizen being required by law to have
    his/her fingerprint minutiae processed? If so,
    why does he/she have to give his/her consent for that?

    I do not have any information to understand that
    fingerprint minutiae will be erased. I am being
    asked to agree to a clause in the User
    Declaration Form when I cannot determine whether
    it is correct are not. According to the Data
    Protection Office, the "responsibility for
    compliance with the legal requirement falls
    directly on the data controller and "the data
    controller should destroy such data as soon as
    reasonably practicable". I have tried to contact
    the data controller for the National Identity
    Card; I did not receive any reply. I found that
    odd given that the Code of Ethics for Public Officers states that:

       "It is the duty of Public Officers to give to the public any
        information required or advice and to provide reasonable
        assistance. Public Officers shall help the public to understand
        their rights and obligations."

    Why am I being asked to state something when it
    is up to the data controller to state that it
    will be erasing the information permanently once
    the identity card has been printed?

    1.
    http://civilservice.govmu.org/English/Documents/administrative%20reforms/Ethics2010.pdf

Disclaimer Notice:

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is intended for the addressee only, and may contain confidential information. The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained within it is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the author and delete this e-mail (including any attachments) immediately in its entirety.

This e-mail message has been swept by a virus checker for the presence of known computer viruses. Besides, any opinion or other information in this email (including any attachments) that does not have anything to do with the official business of the Government of Mauritius, is personal to the author, and therefore does not engage any liability whatsoever of the Government of Mauritius.

The above statement does not constitute an acceptance of liability on the part of the Government of Mauritius or its employees in the event of technical or virus issues generated by this e-mail. It is the responsibility of the recipient to take adequate security measures. Further, the Government of Mauritius or its employees do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information contained in the email (including any attachments) and/or reliance or its availability at any time. The recipient must also verify/check any information with the relevant Government department(s) and/or other source(s), and to obtain any appropriate professional advice before acting on the contents of this email (including any attachments).