Re: Internet shutdown proposal

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:31:07 -0700

Hi Ajay, Ish,
At 05:10 13-04-2017, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:
>Based on my understanding of the proposal, the intention is not for
>the Afrinic to shutdown governments but to rather sanction
>governments for blocking access to the Internet. So far I am not in
>favour of the policy as it is not an RIR's job to sanction

A few month ago, there was an message to a public mailing list about
the internet being blocked in parts of a country in the region. The
Internet Society in that country issued a statement in favour of
blocking the internet. That statement was negatively criticized by
several internet governance groups and those groups issued a
statement about the position taken by the Internet Society in that country.

Could access to www.lexpress.mu or any other news site in Mauritius
be blocked by a government agency? Should this group say anything if
that happens?