Re: Internet shutdown proposal

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 23:39:23 +0400

Hi SM,

On 14/04/17 04:31, S Moonesamy wrote:

> A few month ago, there was an message to a public mailing list about the
> internet being blocked in parts of a country in the region. The
> Internet Society in that country issued a statement in favour of
> blocking the internet. That statement was negatively criticized by
> several internet governance groups and those groups issued a statement
> about the position taken by the Internet Society in that country.

I saw tweets [1] about the Cameroon internet shutdown. The media [2]
picked up the story. You participated in the "Anti-Shutdown" proposal on
the Resource Policy Discussion list of Afrinic. Do you have a synthesis
of the situation?

[1] https://twitter.com/Smith_JeffreyT/status/839868813474738176 and
https://twitter.com/accessnow/status/856518348187860993
[2] http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38895541 and
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/03/africa/internet-shutdown-cameroon/

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.