Re: Sharing of personal information

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 17:00:39 +0400

Hi SM,

On 03/28/2017 01:13 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I sent the following message a few months ago
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2016/11/5880.html
> Am I taking an opposite position in respect to Yusuf's comment about
> privacy?

No.

> Your comment may be perceived as meaning that it is better not to
> express any concern from that outside and certainly not to make any
> public comment about a dubious practice.

I'm sorry if it's interpreted that way. I'm rather calling for
contribution (time, dialogue, proposals etc).

> Should I join all the "IT" groups in Mauritius and contribute my ideas
> to make them better? Would there be conflict of interest issues?

I would not say join but rather limit the wording to "contribute".

> I am in one group locally as that is as much time as I can afford. For
> what it is worth, local participation requires much more effort as there
> isn't much public information available for me to understand the
> issues. It is a matter of hours for me to read about a non-local issue
> and understand it. For a local issue, it is a matter of days or more.

I appreciate your effort and time you give to that group. I concur with
your comment about time needed to understand local issues.

> Is it my responsibility to find ways to fix or improve something because
> I commented about it? I heard that suggestion during a discussion with
> company in the region. My response was that it is neither my job nor my
> responsibility to do that. A few month ago, I commented about negative
> criticism (
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg99771.html ).

I won't call it responsibility. It is not an obligation.

> I already have some work scheduled for this week. I am okay with
> putting in some time to discuss matters if you believe that it would be
> useful. The privacy concern does not affect me as I did not agree to
> having my personal sold to third-parties.

Great. Will see you around then. :-)

Cheers,