Re: Sharing of personal information

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:30:01 -0700

Hi Yusuf,
At 10:32 27-03-2017, Yusuf Satar wrote:
>Attendance is free subject to submission of personal data, which
>will be shared with 3rd party sponsors.
>The justification is that the event costs need to be covered,
>thereby potentially implying that the sharing of data might be a
>commercial deal.
>The company is privately registered with privately administered funds.
>
>Neither does this sound ethical nor does it look legal.
>
>As much as your noble intentions could be lauded, the simile would
>be someone inviting people in the back of a van to distribute free candy.
>It seems to be a nice gesture but remains an improper way of doing things.

Wouldn't a company be selling personal data to other companies if it
has an agreement with any of these companies to provide them with the
personal data as part of the conditions for their sponsorship? Even
if there is a charitable objective it is still an improper way to
meet that objective.

A person could remain quiet about such practices and enjoy the
benefits, e.g. a free lunch. If the person is aware that that lunch
is being paid for through the sale of personal data, wouldn't being
quiet raise questions about the person's ethics?

I gather that web developers, excluding you, do not consider the
ethical questions as important. It is strange that the executive
members of LUGM have remained quiet about the ethical questions. Are
they okay with inviting people in the back of the van to distribute
Open Source Software?