Re: Sharing of personal information

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:32:52 +0400

Hello

Thank you very much for those answers Jochen.

> It would be informative to have your estimation on both manpower and finances needed to establish this kind of event environment.
As it would be if the actual full budget were to be published online, to everybody.

> No salaries involved, the running expenses are mainly the bank fees and expenses for MSCC events and meetups organised for the benefit of our
subscribers (aka craftsmen - or members if you'd like to).

> No speaker is renumerated
I do believe that since there are no salaries and speaker remuneration, the main cost consists of the location and stickers/pamphlets?
Also, I was unaware that meetups had (major) costs involved - is it not a weekly walk-in coffee meetup?
I believe one major meetup was Ghost guy coming, where every one paid for his/her own food?
Is MSCC community and Agile Media Ltd one and same thing? Does Agile Media Ltd actually sponsor meetups?
Those are questions the members of the company and/or community would need to address.

> May I ask you how some or all of those suggestions of yours should be implemented?
> How would you cover those additional expenses?
Once again, what additional costs?
I cannot and do not want to dictate that, especially since the organization is a privately registered company.

> How would you define a preferential rate?
> Why for students?
> Only for students?
> What about interested college pupils?
> How about free of charge for Mauritians only, and foreigners have to pay?
> And last, why should we consider this?
>
> Right now, the conference is free (as in beer) and therefore easy accessable to anyone.
> Why would you like to introduce artificial separation of attendees? Two-class system for attendees?

I was suggesting a way to balance accessibility and need to cover costs, in a legit manner.

> Our main belief (and somehow the success) of the Developers Conference is to provide a platform on regional and international level to anyone - free
of charge and based on equality.
A conference needs not be free to be of quality (although it may). It does however need to respect ethics and rule of law.

> The introduction of an entrance fee for the Developers Conference requires to initiate the dialog with Mauritius Quality Authority (MQA -
compulsory) and Human Resource Development Council (HRDC - optional). This process is lengthy and involves expenses to be covered.
How lengthy? Could it take 3 years? This is the 3rd year of the conference, right?

Here is how it looks:
Agile Media Ltd, for the purpose is organizing a 3-day conference.
Attendance is free subject to submission of personal data, which will be shared with 3rd party sponsors.
The justification is that the event costs need to be covered, thereby potentially implying that the sharing of data might be a commercial deal.
The company is privately registered with privately administered funds.

Neither does this sound ethical nor does it look legal.

As much as your noble intentions could be lauded, the simile would be someone inviting people in the back of a van to distribute free candy.
It seems to be a nice gesture but remains an improper way of doing things.

> And why stop at the Developers Conference? According to your ideas given above, we could and should also apply all those considerations for our
monthly Meetups, shouldn't we?
> Or should we just introduce monthly or annual fees - just to be part of a community?
Read above, do meetups actually cost money? Anyhow, that's up to the community to decide.
LUGM has a membership fee if I recall correctly (Yes I know they don't do conference, but conference funding itself in the way it seems to do is
improper, thus this inquiry)

> Where should we stop?
I would suggest within the boundaries of ethics and law.

> "This is a community for those who care and are proud of what they do. For those developers, regardless how experienced they are, who want to
improve and master their craft.
Caring and pride stem from respect of values and principles.

> In my humble opinion, the introduction of an entrance fee would be equal to the decay and fall of the MSCC.
MSCC community or company?
Entrance fee necessary? If yes how much? For which costs? A membership adds legitimacy because it enforces transparency.
Transparency may not be important to the members of the MSCC (community) or Agile Media, which is fine.
What is not fine is lack of ethics, especially when backed by law.

Once again, I have always held you in high esteem for the previous DevCon events.
While I may seem overly inquisitive and perhaps annoying, my concerns remain legitimate.

Thank you for your patient answers,
Best Regards

--
❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR