Re: Sharing of personal information

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 02:20:13 -0700

Hi Yusuf,
At 00:23 27-03-2017, Yusuf Satar wrote:
>I find it appalling that this clause was mandatory* and even more so
>that so many people actually agreed to it, willfully or otherwise.
>There is no clear indication of what the data will be used for,
>where it could be stored and for how long it will be preserved.
>
>There is adequate ground to believe that the whole process is not
>only a violation of fundamental privacy principles but also numerous
>provisions of the Data Protection Act

 From what I understand, agreeing to that clause could mean that the
person registering for the event agrees to having his/her personal
data shared with a list of sponsors. I don't know what the sponsors
will do with that information. I prefer not to agree to such a
clause as I I do not wish to have my personal data used for marketing purposes.

I would like to ask you for some advice as you are a web
developer. Please note that you are not obliged to give me that
advice for free. Is it appropriate to use a checkbox where the only
state allowed ob (form) submission is for the checkbox to be ticked?