Re: No action against spam

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 22:28:52 -0800

Hi Ajay, Ish,
At 20:23 02-03-2017, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:
>It is not clear to me whether an email address
>constitutes data that falls under the protection
>as defined by the Data Protection Act. Other
>countries have very specific legislation against
>spam. I think it's hard for authorities to
>tackle local spammers when there is no
>legislation prohibiting them from engaging in such practices.

Would you advise your company to collect email
addresses or use those email addresses to send
emails when it is not clear whether that practice
is allowed under the Data Protection Act?

At 21:47 02-03-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I approached CERT-MU for advice; which I did not receive [1]. Recently,
>I blogged about the « valentine's offers » and wrote to the company. The
>director replied and apologized. I did not go further with the complaint.

I did not receive a reply to the message at
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2017/02/5977.html

>I have not complained to the Data Protection Office regarding
>unauthorized use of my email addresses in marketing campaigns. Have you
>been getting spam recently? Did you complain to DPO? I'd like to know
>about your experience with the DPO as mine with CERT-MU has been very
>disappointing.

I have not received any spam since I sent that
message. I have complained to the Data
Protection Office previously. My experience is
that the investigation takes longer than I
expected. There was, in my opinion, a
misunderstanding about the information displayed
by email software as there seems to be an
assumption that it is similar to what is
displayed by a Microsoft product. I explained
that one of the complaint forms available from
the Data Protection Office was not clear about
some of the required information.