Re: Mauritius ODRA report

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:21:45 +0400

Hello Rajnish,

On 01/28/2017 04:34 PM, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:

> A. ODRA
> The Ministry is finalsing its study of the ODRA. We wish to soon move
> on the lines we indicated before as part of the validation workshop we
> had together with the World Bank.

Thank you for the information. I do not regard "the ministry studying
the ODRA" as being an impediment to its release; studying & implementing
being two different matters. The report is much awaited and the non
release or delay would be against "transparency & accountability".

> B. Open data portal
> As part of the discussions we had at the time of the validation workshop
> on the ODRA, it was understood that we would use sharepoint for the open
> data portal in the initial phase and eventually come up with a full
> fledged open data portal using open source. However, after further
> discussions with the World Bank consultants during the last year, we
> found it more beneficial to go straight to the open data portal using
> open source solutions – hence the tender. We also listed some datasets
> for release as part of the services to be provided under the tender.

In my opinion, the mechanism behind the release is insignificant. Any
other matter is only delaying.

> An incremental approach for the release of prioritised datasets would be
> followed as soon as the open data portal is launched with some initial
> datasets.

The tender having been launched just a few weeks ago, it would be
remarkable if the portal sees light in a few months. The best would be
if people could obtain datasets upon individual requests (e.g by email)
or through "quick wins" published on the government portal. I do not see
either happening soon.