Re: Mauritius ODRA report

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 08:18:17 -0800

Hi Rajnish,

Thank you for the reply. I'll comment below.

At 04:45 28-01-2017, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:
>The existing legal framework allows us to release datasets as open data.
>Now as regards the datasets to be released, these will be according to the
>list established in the ODRA report in order of priority starting with
>quick wins. So, no dataset is being put aside.

In December 2015, I sent an email to the Data Protection Commissioner
about a "take down" request which negatively impacted an Open Source
project in Mauritius (
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4564.html
). The action taken by a government agency in Mauritius is a matter
of concern as it is unknown whether the existing legal framework
allows a citizen to use the information (or datasets) provided by a
government agency. The reluctance of the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation to make the World Bank Report (ODRA)
publicly available does not help. It fuels the fear that there may
be some legal issue and that a citizen could get in trouble because of that.

The Mauritius Internet Users in collaboration with a local newspaper
organized a panel discussion in January 2016 (
https://www.lexpress.mu/node/273809 ). During the panel discussion,
a Project Manager of the Ministry of Technology, Communication and
Innovation commented that the government's Open Data Project will be
implemented by the end of 2016. We are in 2017 and the datasets and
"quick wins" are not visible. I visited the web site of the Ministry
of Technology, Communication and Innovation; I could not find the
list of datasets which is allegedly in the ODRA report.

>Now for the ope data policy, Cabinet aproved the draft open data policy on
>1 April 2016. The policy is currently being finalised.

Will the open data policy be publicly available before April 2017?