Re: Open Data in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:02:20 -0800

Hi Martin,

You have probably seen the emails which I sent about Open Data. I
don't believe that it would be consistent if I support Open Data and
keep the discussions closed.

There are very few people on the island who have shown interest in
Open Source. I was at a stand for LUGM advocacy last week. There
were only two persons helping out at that stand. For some people,
the topic is academic; for other people, it is because the software
is free.

It would be very difficult to get Open Data working in Mauritius as
there isn't an environment of "openness". There are some questions
which have not been discussed, e.g. whether the data sources will
still be accessible in future. Is it useful to do something about
that? Yes. It would require a dedicated group of people who
understand who believe that it is something useful.