Internet-related problems affecting small businesses

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 02:25:39 -0700

Dear Mr Pandoo,

According to the web site of the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation, the functions of the Information,
Communication and Technologies Advisory Council is to advise the
Minister on any matter relating to:

   1. the effect of tariff policy adopted by the Authority

   2. the promotion of research into, and the development and use of, new
      information and techniques

I did a quick comparison of the cost for internet connectivity for
small businesses (see (1)) in Mauritius and the United States. I was
surprised to find that the cost on the island is 40 times the cost in
the United States. I sent a request to CERT-MU on 19 September about
statistics for incidents reported to CERT-MU. I unfortunately did
not receive any reply to my request.

How can an Internet-oriented small business be competitive when the
cost of Internet connectivity is so high?

How does the Ministry intends to promote research (see (2)) when
requests for data which is required for research are ignored?