RE: Internet-related problems affecting small businesses

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 09:51:25 -0700

Dear Mr Pandoo,

I would like to thank you and the ICT Advisory Council for the
reply. The small business in Mauritius I am familiar with have
around five persons working in the company. Most of the employees
rely on a computer system for their work, e.g. for Customer
Relationship Management.

Some employees require remote access to their company's network, e.g.
the employee is at a customer's premises, the employee is working
from home. Remote access may also be required by a which company
which is providing technical support. I usually recommend that the
company uses a static IP address for its network so that adequate
security measures can be implemented to control access to the system.

I recently asked an Internet Service Provider (ISP) in Mauritius
about the cost of an ADSL business connection with a static IP
address. As the ISP did not have such an offer it recommended an
offer for an alternative offer which included static IP
addresses. The cost of a 30 Mbps Internet connection was Rs
144,300. I was curious about the amount a small business in the
United States would be charged for Internet access. The advertised
price [1][2] for a 50 Mbps connection at two ISPs were Rs 4,009 and
Rs 3,646. The advertised price in Mauritius is, in comparison, 36
times more expensive.

1. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/business-comcast.png
2. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/verizon-business.png