Statistics about Broadband

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 03:40:31 -0700

Dear Mrs Ramlukon,

I read the latest Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
statistics (2014) published by Statistics Mauritius. The document
defines Broadband internet as "internet connectivity at a speed of at
least 256 kilobits per second". I visited the web sites of three
Internet Service Providers. The first one [1] advertises an offer
for 10 Mbps. The second one [2] advertises an offer of 100 Mbps; the
lower offer is 10 Mbps. The third one [3] advertises an offer of 2 Mbps.

One of the principles within the code of practice of Statistics
Mauritius is that "processes are in place to monitor the practical
utility of existing statistics in meeting users' needs". Without
relevant local statistics, it is not possible to get a good view of
the internet in Mauritius. For example, a internet-related business
would need to know the number of broadband internet subscriptions per
100 inhabitants where "broadband" is based on the offers mentioned
above. The "broadband" statistics published by Statistics Mauritius
unfortunately does not meet that need.

According to Ofcom (United Kingdom), "evidence suggests that those
consumers with faster connections are more likely to rate their
broadband experience good, as shown in Figure
3. In general, 10Mbit/s appears to be the tipping point beyond which
most consumers rate their broadband experience as 'good'". I assume
that the average internet user in Mauritius would equate "broadband"
as "good". Does Statistics Mauritius consider a 256 kilobits per
second internet connection as "good"?

1. https://www.emtel.com/airbox
2. http://www.myt.mu/
3. http://www.bees.mu/home_plans.php