RE: Young people and NGOs

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 20:22:45 +0400

Hello SM,

I apologies for the late reply.

> Networking is about getting other persons to know you. Linkedin as
> that is one way to advertise your skills and experience, and getting
> other people to know you. In my opinion Linkedin is not always used
> correctly. Do you receive recommendations [1]? That helps an
> employer to verify whether the information which you provided is correct.

Well, I must admit that I don't use LinkedIn like one should. I do not update it as often and I did not ask for any recommendation so far. I would usually bring my portfolio (hard copy) over when I had interviews even though my online portfolio and LinkedIn links were available in my emails and on my CV.

> There is a section about "Volunteer Experience & Causes". I suggest
> responding to a request for recommendation on behalf of the Mauritius
> Internet Users so that the claims of a volunteer can be verified. I
> suggest being careful in making a recommendation as it affects your
> credibility when you recommend a person who has made incorrect claims
> on his/her profile.

Yes, why not! I will be happy to do it but I will have to be careful and know that person's potential and contribution to the Mauritius Internet Users mailing list before writing any recommendation or some words about him/her. Like you said, it might/will affect my credibility. So, any subscriber who wants a recommendation is welcome to send me an email.

Kind regards,
Shelly