Re: Promoting the interest of consumers

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:38:00 +0400

Hi SM,

On 02/22/2016 10:53 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> In your reply you mentioned that the Chairmain of the ICT Advisory
> Council receives a monthly salary. Aren't you tolerating bad practices
> by not asking the Chairman to see that you get the information which you
> requested as member of the ICT Advisory Council?

Yes, I am partly to blamed. Maybe my approach is too docile.

> According to the ICT Act you were consulted for the appointment of five
> members of the ICT Board. Did you do any evaluation to find out whether
> the persons have some expertise and experience in internet-related matters?

That was my first official meeting at the Council. I questioned on the
expertise of several persons suggested for the board of ICTA and
deplored the fact that I am asked to choose five candidates from a list
of five. I was then told that it is the "current practice". I was
uncomfortable but at the same time I needed the exposure to learn more.

> On linkedin.com, under "Causes et expériences de bénévolat", the
> membership of the ICT Advisory Council is listed. Do you mention that
> you are a member of the ICT Advisory Council on a curriculum vitae?
> Would you provide any details about the work which you did on the ICT
> Advisory Council or would you ask the future employer to contact the
> Council Secretary?

Yes, I do mention I am a member of the ICT Advisory Council. When people
ask me about works that I contributed at the Council, I can only mention
the National Open Source Software Excellence Centre (NOSSEC) because
that's the project where I am putting energy (though it is not very
significant). During the course of last year, I did contribute in:

1. offered my assistance in a working group for improving local hosting
for Small & Medium Enterprises and assisting in Maker workshops for
students (it never consolidated into something real)
2. asked for the approved Notes of Council meetings to be released publicly
3. suggested using a temporary identification paper for people needing
an ID Card rather than asking them to sign a declaration form
4. suggested improvements for the Infotech website, and commented on web
design standards in Government institutions
5. deplored that the Council was neglected in discussions pertaining to
amendments proposed in ICT laws
6. requested the annual reports of the ICT Authority
7. toss ideas for the organization structure of the National Open Source
Software Excellence Centre
8. contributed ideas for the implementation of the Open Government Data
(in progress)

Previously, when I was asked whether during last year I contributed
ideas for the promotion of the interest of consumers, I said no.
Sincerely, I do not consider the above as major contributions. The above
were only of a few meetings to have tea or coffee, or maybe juice. The
level of seriousness in any of the activities is very weak. I wish &
intend to do much more.

> You mentioned "my voice alone makes no difference"; please see
> http://1net-mail.1net.org/pipermail/discuss/2014-February/002271.html
> What is your opinion about that?

That is inspiring, SM. Thanks for sharing. :)

Cheers,

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu