Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 20:30:10 +0400

Hi Vincent,

On 02/17/2016 12:31 AM, vincent pollet wrote:

> hmmm not sure what you meant but replace the word "crowd" by "public" if
> you want. It has almost the same meaning for me :P

The change of word still does not convince on how it will help. We may
have an audience of 10, 20, 50 or more, but at the end of the day if the
event is just another event, then there is no success in that.

In the panel discussion on "startups" at La Sentinelle, Mr Ramgolam from
the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation disagreed on
the limitation of technologies in Mauritius. That means we do not have
any technological limitations in Mauritius as per the ministry.

I searched for "internet in mauritius" in Google and I obtained the
following, ranging from 2007 - 2015:

http://www.yashvinblogs.com/bilan-of-internet-service-providers-in-mauritius/
http://www.mauritius-official.com/2011/12/internet-in-mauritius-sucks-and.html
http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2012/07/27/faster-internet-speed-must-become-a-priority-for-mauritius/
http://business.mega.mu/2013/06/18/internet-mauritius-bad-student/
http://mauritiusinsider.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-need-for-speed-mauritius-bandwidth.html
https://www.facebook.com/AskingForABetterConnectionInMruFuOrange/

If you're a tech startup in Mauritius, would this tempt you
http://www.orange.mu/business/hosting ?

Now, are the above referring to some sort of technological limitation
which the Ministry of TCI refuses to acknowledge? I leave it to your
best judgment :)

> Am not interested in politics but I hope, we could achieve awareness
> regarding opportunities in Mauritius.

I'm not interested in politics, neither awareness in startups. I am
concerned in getting things done, and done quickly. I want to help &
achieve something at the end of the day. I want to see when the event is
over, things are moving, each and everyone leaving the room knows what
to do next.

Awareness will not achieve that. Awareness might only add a new word in
people's vocabulary, and that would be "startup".

> I think having students is not a bad idea as they are the next
> generation of startupers and leaders. Exposing them early to such
> debates could be a great benefit for them and I don't think it will
> lower the level of discussions.

If the universities in Mauritius want to host talks about the startup
culture, I will help them for sure. :)

> It will be our role to prepare interesting questions and stop sterile
> topics, in order to make sure that this "startup event" is as
> interesting as possible for everyone in the audience/crowd/public :P

Wait. You mentioned awareness above, that sounds more like a
presentation rather than a round-table discussion with questions that we
would prepare.

> I spoke with Elise Today she is ready to help and Jochen is proposing
> Saturday for the event as we will have a maximum participation on weekend.

Developers Conference has a nature of its own. It fits for tech
presentations, maybe hackfests and some beer in the afternoon. The
mixture of everything happening will be an overkill for a startup
"discussion". During last year's DevCon, some developers unveiled a
Privacy Compliance Assessment Application and the Data Protection
Commissioner even gave a presentation on that. Number of attendees were
less than ten, maybe. Who else talked about Data Protection and Privacy
laws afterward? No one. Was it an achievement?

Cheers,

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu