Re: Compromising the security of personal information

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 20:44:25 +0400

Hi SM,

On 02/17/2016 08:21 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> There is a letter at https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/ about
> weakening the security on the iPhone. There hasn't been any (local)
> public discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of compromising
> the security of personal information. Does anyone have an opinion about
> the topic?

I briefly read the letter by Apple today. A company like Apple went
public denouncing the "exigence" of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
In Mauritius if there is demand by the State, I believe the private
sector would fear any retaliation should they not abide. I cannot
substantiate the same with examples but that's more of an observation
I've had in recent times.

There is fear of the Government which reigns almost everywhere you go in
Mauritius. At the same time there is little or no transparency in the
work undertaken by Government agencies. Under those conditions it
becomes even more difficult to discuss the privacy and security matters.

My opinion is if you compromise the security for any particular reason,
then there is no security at all. It is too naive to say in Government
we trust.

Cheers,

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu