RE: Facebook in Mauritius

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:15:09 +0400

Hello Sruti and SM,

_at_Sruti It is a really nice blog post Sruti (Y)

I was listening to the radio about the 'Internet Security Day' and someone mentioned that Facebook is mainly associated with the word Internet rather than other services. After all, we are living on a Facebook island and hopefully even the Government along with some Ministries will be creating an account to interact with their fellow citizens. We had a thread about that. [1] Unfortunately, everybody is so focused on Facebook that they are neglecting other Internet services e.g Emails, Orange.mu may take up to one week or forever/never to reply to an email but responds less than two days on Twitter and Facebook platforms). Another example can be, some of the Ministries' email inbox are so full with unread messages or maybe they are having financial issues to upgrade their email volume quota, that senders' email never even reach them.

Out of context:
I think it is a serious issue, we are far from deserving the word 'Smart Island'. We do not have the proper infrastructure and even if we do, our culture stops us from embracing technology as it should because of the 'mentaliter'. Based on recent events, we have been witnessing a lot of fuss regarding the Internet and how the Government and even the police force is reacting.

Back to the thread:
_at_SM Yes, Facebook is surely used for stalking (thank you for sharing the picture) but also as a recruiting mean for some companies. Facebook plays a crucial role as a profiling 'model' when recruiting potential employees and so is Google.

[1] http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2016/01/4897.html